Today, I woke up early, early enough, to finish part 5 of my “video game violence BS” series of youtube videos. These video’s go into the crap being spread by media about violent games that seems to be fueling censorship, and other similar topics, all dealing with video game controversy, which happens to be a huge, 18 year long moral panic in the US, and abroad.
Part 4 was done last night and dealt with a certain right wing pro-family anti-violent games group in the midwest, and how they filed an amicus brief in 2010′ Brown VS EMA Supreme court trial, filled with BS about how violent games are used in the military to break down the inhibition to kill (debunked here), eric harris said “Doom Will Become Reality” on his website (debunked here), and how Micheal Carneal got better and shooting a real gun after only playing doom (debunked in part 1 of my youtube series) , all bogus claims. If the supreme court actually believed this tripe, they might have not found the CA bill involved unconstitutional, and a vague and very subjective obscenity clause (with it’s uber subjective “lack scientific, literary and educational value” clause) would have ended up being used as the sole judge for the groups the Bill would have formed to fine or not fine certain games being sold to minors at any store. The stores, not knowing what games would get fined, would have taken all violent games off the stage. At the time of the Brown VS EMA decision the bill had spread to at least 2 other states, like a plague. This first video, Part 4 goes into all of this.
Video 5, of my series, goes into 3 things, how a moronic troll on a newspaper forum ironically got me into debunking crap spread about violent games, by threatening to kill me for daring to defend Doom in May 1999, insulting anyone else who dared to defend it by calling them “gamer shitheads”, cursing, and MUCH worse, and how this troll (who had a Lawyers email(!)), made a post saying “I have enough evidence to prove gamers get violent” and how that post, the forum in question, and the email server info were all taken offline, as well as certain sites debunking the “doom will become reality” hoax, and how I think there is a coverup involved to remove this kind of content, plus on why gamers should not vote for the GOP this year due to how one candidate (not naming him here) wants to “do something about” stores that sell violent games to anyone, not just kids.
- New Video Game Violence Editorials being done on Youtube… (erosionoffreedom.wordpress.com)
- More video game violence debunking on youtube for me today…. (erosionoffreedom.wordpress.com)
- Is the Government or some other Entity spying on Youtube Watchers… (erosionoffreedom.wordpress.com)
- This Just in! A certain US Presidential candidate wants a complete ban on violent games!!!!! (erosionoffreedom.wordpress.com)
- Video Game Violence & the Effect on Black Children (diaryofanegress.com)
- Misplaced Blame: Video Games Don’t Equal Violence and Suicide (lockergnome.com)
- Violence in Video Games (socyberty.com)
- Scipione blames video games for violence (bigpondnews.com)
- R18+ rating ‘treats adults like kids’ (news.com.au)
- No Scientific Link Between Video Games and Violence, Says UKIE Leader (news.softpedia.com)